Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

83-year-old granny gets a boob job...


'Your breasts go in one direction and your brain goes in another': Great grandmother gets a boob job at 83



Most 83-year-olds get new hips or new knees - at the very most they might opt for a new hairdo.
Last updated at 12:53 AM on 11th August 2011
But Marie Kolstad decided to get new breasts, and with it a new lease of life.
The California woman has been making national news since getting the breast implants in July.
Defying age: Marie Kolstad, from California, who underwent a three-hour breast lift with implants at age 83, which cost about $8,000
Defying age: Marie Kolstad, from California, who underwent a three-hour breast lift with implants at age 83, which cost about $8,000
The full-time property manager with a total of 25 grandchildren and great grandchildren said that she wanted to get the boob job not to attract other suitors, but so that her four children would be proud of what she looked like.
She told the New York Times: 'Your breasts go in one direction and your brain goes in another.
'Physically, I'm in good health, and I just feel like, why not take advantage of it? I want my children to be proud of what I look like.'
So she spent $8,000 on the three-hour procedure - specifically a breast lift with implants.
The 83-year-old, who has been widowed for more than a decade said: 'I never gave a thought to meeting someone different. It was more about looking in the mirror and liking who I am.
    'It's something you dream about. I just wanted nice ones. I didn't want anything outlandish or out of place. Now, they are firmer and rounder.'
    She did originally keep the surgery a secret from her children and grandchildren, fearing they would disapprove but eventually came clean the day before the surgery.
    She said: 'Their biggest fear was the anaesthesia - could there be a blood clot or this or that. They didn't find out until the day before because I knew that there would be an objection and I didn't want to hear about it. I had made my mind up.'
    And it seems Marie Kolstad is not alone in her quest to hold on to her youth at the age of 83.

    'Your breasts go in one direction and your brain goes in another. I just wanted nice ones, I didn't want anything outlandish or out of place'

    An increasing number of men and women are said to be turning to palstic surgery in their older years, some even older than Marie.
    Plastic surgery is on the rise among baby boomers, but now doctors are also seeing an uptick among septuagenarians and octogenarians. 
    Those who are over 65 represent about seven to eight per cent of all procedures, according to Dr Norman Rowe, a New York City plastic surgeon. 
    He told ABC: 'People say, just because my life age is 84, doesn't mean I have to be happy or content looking 80.

    RISKS OF BREAST IMPLANTS IN OAPS

    The most important consideration is a patient's psychological and general health, according to plastic surgeons. 
    Underlying medical conditions that could pose a risk are poorly controlled blood pressure or heart disease, diabetes, obesity or other underlying disease, primarily because of the anaesthesia concerns. 
    Obviously, the health and fitness of the patient is a huge factor as they may not be able to survive the actual surgery.
    Other risks include  implant ruptures, rippling, numbness, infection, haematoma and displacement.
    'The whole population is getting older. People in their forties and fifties are now in their sixties and seventies getting things done. Americans are ageing and their length of life is increasing.'
    Though most of his older patients seek anti-ageing facial work, Dr Rowe does perform breast lift procedures on older women. 
    'They don't want larger breasts, they just don't want them hanging by their knees. We can make them perky, but not like a 20-year-old. 
    'They look better in a bra and shirt and you don't need a bathing suit with support.'
    In 2010, there were 84,685 surgical procedures among those over 65, according to the American Society for the Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 
    Of those, 26,635 were face-lifts; 24,783, cosmetic eyelid operations; 6,469, liposuctions; 5,874, breast reductions; 3,875, forehead lifts; 3,339, breast lifts and 2,414, breast augmentations. 
    Mrs Kolstad said her late husband, a building contractor, would have been supportive of her choice: 'Any kind of plastic surgery is expensive, but now I am free and don't have as many obligations.
    'I don't know how long I'll live, but it's something I did in my lifetime that was my choice and I am pleased.
    'My mother lived until she was 94, and I'm planning on bypassing that.'
     


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024704/Great-grandmother-gets-boob-job-83.html#ixzz1V0mFqLTd

    No comments:

    Post a Comment