Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Banana art... create and eat.


No room for slip-ups! Artist creates creepy sculptures from bananas

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 4:06 PM on 25th April 2011

These a-peeling sculptures are sure to make you go bananas.
The detailed works of fruity art - featuring the faces of Elvis and Davey Jones from Pirates of The Caribbean - are carved with a toothpick and a spoon.
But there's no room for slip-ups; each piece is completed in about half an hour, before the bananas start to rot.
No room for slip-ups: Each piece is completed in about half an hour, before the bananas start to rotUh-huh-huh: Keisuke Yamada's Elvis Presley banana sculpture uses the fruit's curve to artistic effect
No room for slip ups: Each piece is completed in about half an hour, before the fruit begins to rot
When the sculptures are complete Japanese artist Keisuke Yamada photographs them and eats them.
Since posting pictures of his monkey business online, the 23-year-old has developed a cult internet following and gets new ideas from his fans' suggestions.
He has made 11 pieces so far, including a dragon and ghoulish skulls.
 
    Mr Yamada said: 'I started making them about two weeks ago and since posting pictures of them online they have really taken off.
    'It began when I peeled a banana and thought it might be interesting to carve a face into the fruit.
    'The first one was the face of someone with a smile. I was surprised by how many people liked it so then I just started making more.
    'People began to suggest ideas and that was what gave me my inspiration.
    Banana split: He has made 11 pieces so far, including a dragon and ghoulish skullsMonkey business: When the sculptures are complete Japanese Mr Yamada photographs them and eats them
    Monkey business: When the sculptures are complete artist Keisuke Yamada photographs them then eats them
    'Before I set about sculpting I think long and hard about exactly what I want it to look like.
    'Then I get to work. I want people to think they are interesting and not believe quite what they are seeing.
    'I just use an ordinary toothpick and a spoon from my house. I'm a perfectionist, and a simple design take about half an hour.
    'They can't take much longer because then the fruit starts to go brown and I enjoy eating them once the work is done and I've taken a photo.' 
    Mr Yamada, an electrician, said: 'I'm looking forward to making many more in the future.'


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380395/No-room-slip-ups-Japanese-artist-gains-cult-following-sculptures-crafted-bananas.html#ixzz1KZlnOFID

    No comments:

    Post a Comment