Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

US school yearbook censored after cheerleaders ridiculed...


'More leg than Daisy Duke': Cheerleaders' outrage at cruel article accusing them of wearing short skirts

Last updated at 5:22 AM on 31st May 2011
A school yearbook has been censored after it mocked the cheerleading team for wearing short skirts and published unflattering and revealing photos of the squad.
The River City high school cheerleaders were ridiculed for showing ‘more leg than Daisy Duke’ in an article titled, ‘who wears short skirts’.
The year book editor, who was rejected for a place on the team two years ago, said she ‘deeply regretted’ the article.
Unflattering: The year book accused the cheerleaders of flouting school uniform rules and included revealing photos
Unflattering: The year book accused the cheerleaders of flouting school uniform rules and included revealing photos
The school said 400 books had already been picked up by students, but that the remaining 600 would have the pages removed.
In the yearbook, the cheerleaders at the school in West Sacramento, California, were described as being ‘dolled up in micromini uniforms’ while ‘strolling down halls’ with blatant disregard’ for the ‘school dress code’.
    The pages included photos of the team with their skirts high up after exercises and edited photos of just the girls’ legs.
    One of the cheerleaders, Breannah Gully, said, ‘I was really mad. I was shaking,’ when she picked up the book.
    ‘I started reading and everyone had to tell me to calm down and I was just angry at the words, and I called my mom and I was crying,’ she told local station News 10.
    Nice legs: Some of the photos were cropped so that they only showed the cheerleaders' legs
    Legs: Some of the photos were cropped so that they only showed the cheerleaders' legs
    Unhappy: Cheerleader Breannah Gully said the book had made her very angry
    Unhappy: Cheerleader Breannah Gully said the book had made her very angry
    ‘I'm pissed,’ said Breannah's mother Michelle Gully. ‘We spent a lot of money on these uniforms. We don't even get to pick the uniform.’
    ‘My concern is they're letting the students write this, edit this and print this,’ she told News 10.
    The school vice principal said the article was not libellous, so all they could do was encourage the editor to ‘make the right decision’.
    In a statement, the 16-year-old who wrote the article said: ‘I deeply regret submitting this page to my adviser, as well as letting it be published.
    ‘I made an editorial mistake and I apologise for any pain that I may have caused.
    All change: The pages will be replaced in the year books yet to be distributed
    All change: The pages will be replaced in the year books yet to be distributed
    'I did not mean for this spread to be malicious or maleconent in any way. This page was not an attack on the cheerleaders, it was not out of spite.
    ‘While I did try out for the team in 2009, I carry no resentment towards the cheerleaders or their families.
    ‘We [the yearbook staff] are currently taking steps to make amends. Again, I apologise for any hurt that I may have caused.’


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1392617/California-cheerleaders-outrage-article-accusing-wearing-short-skirts.html#ixzz1NvwszGkr

    1 comment:

    1. I love how the writer is getting shit for being honest and pointing out dress code violations and instead of focusing on that the authors of all the articles about this ignore that fact to focus on the poor hurt cheerleaders. People need to start focusing on the important part of the story and stop martyring the poor sad cheerleader who really doesn't need it cause everything thats been posted shows nothing horrid was said.

      ReplyDelete